|Birth place or City of origin:||San Francisco|
|State of origin:||CA|
|Last known City:||San Francisco|
|Last known State:||CA|
W. Davis and Son was one of the earliest saddleries on the West Coast, established in San Francisco in 1861, just six years after Main and Winchester. They issued a set of 2 1/2" x 4 1/4" photo saddle cards shortly thereafter that featured Mexican, Wyoming, and Texas saddles along with intricately carved California Vaquero styles. Originally located at 410 Market Street, Davis printed their first catalog of "Saddlery Goods" in the 1870s, followed-up by a larger 176 page version in the 1880s. In addition to 20 pages of saddles, it featured early Calif pommel bags plus rawhide reins, hackmores, angora, goat and sealskin chaps, rosettes plus silver inlaid California spade bits and spurs. Davis' leather works compares very favorably with that of other important 19th century Bay Area competitors like L.D. Stone, Main and Winchester and San Jose's Marcus Stern.