|Birth place or City of origin:||San Francisco|
|State of origin:||CA|
|Last known City:|
|Last known State:|
Founded in San Francisco in 1862 when pioneer Sacramento saddler Rockwell Stone (who later partnered in Sacramento with A A Van Voorhies) expanded his operations to San Francisco with new partner Peter Hayden. The firm flourished for two decades as importers, manufacturers, and wholesale dealers in hardware, saddlery and harness, maintaining their facility at 422 Battery Street. An 1867 newspaper article claimed that Stone and Hayden had a contract with San Quentin employing 150 convicts at 30 cents a day. By 1882 the partnership had apparently dissolved and two years later L D Stone joined Mrs. R Stone changing the saddlery's name to his own. Hayden moved east and remained in the saddlery business through the mid-1890s.